Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Co-signer on my estranged Daughter's car loan. She has been

Customer Question
late several times and refuses...
Co-signer on my estranged Daughter's car loan. She has been late several times and refuses to get her own insurance or pay for the registration. I own a home. How can I protect myself? I am listed on the title.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/29/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Is the vehicle insured and registered in your name?
Did you consider letting payment go delinquent, so the bank would repossess the vehicle?
The car is registerered in my name and insured in both. She has only been 30 days delinquent so no repo just credit issues. She is also receiving tickets several Ez Pass tickets and parking tickets that come to me because it is reg. to me. I need my Ez-pass for work so that could be an issue. She has told me not to contact her and I do not know where she is living. I know where she works however.
Thank you for your follow up.
Is the car loan delinquent now?
Are there any parking tickets or EZ pass violations that are unpaid?
No the car is now current. There is one outstanding ticket that I know of. Do I have the authority to take the car for where she works?
However I have been paying the insurance on it since March to protect myself since she refuses to get her own insurance
Thank you for your follow up.
So, you have been paying for the insurance for this jointly owned vehicle, while your daughter is driving and using the vehicle?
Who's name is ***** ***** title to the vehicle?
Correct. Both our names are ***** ***** title.
Thank you for your follow up.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally when a vehicle is jointly owned, either owner has the equal rights to possession and use of the vehicle, so either owner can gain possession of the vehicle, but such possession has to be gained in a peaceful manner, without use of force or violence and without disturbing the peace.
If one joint owner fails to pay any costs / expenses related to the vehicle, the the other joint owner can file a small claims lawsuit to recover any money owed related to the vehicle.
I wish you the best of luck!
But that does not force her to insure the vehicle which I am libel for.
Thank you for your follow up.
Generally, the only way to address such issue, is to sue the joint co-owner in the small claims court, for any amount of payments toward insurance of the vehicle, that the joint owner is in possession of.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law