How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sign a contract at home moving co. On 5/28/15, they started

Customer Question

Sign a contract at home for a moving co. On 5/28/15, they started to pack and load furniture and boxes. When they reached a certain place in the truck they said that they could no longer continue due to they had reached the estimated footage ( which was given over the phone) and then said to continue the services the new estimate for the rest of the property was 3X the original amount. Orange Co. Police were called they said it was a civil matter. They would not unload the property, said they would keep the property until the 50% was paid and we could use them for the rest of the move. We no longer want to use them... What can we do. We sold our house and possession is today 5-29-15. We still have a house with a lot of property that's need to be moved. Our move if from Orlando to Salt Lake City. Please Help us thank you.(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know that is what I can do I need a answer on the BIG problem of is there any way we can cancel the contract. Now.
At present time I do not feel that your response was adequate for what I I know that is an option, I wanted to know what to do in the mean time, like today....
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a common unfair and deceptive business practice of moving companies. It is a breach of contract and unfair and deceptive practice civil matter against the mover.
Unfortunately, you need to get moved and any legal action you can take will not help you fast enough. I would suggest at this point you are going to have to finish your contract with this one mover for what they have and then seek out a different mover to move the remainder of the house (check them out with the BBB at before you use them) and then after you complete the move, you can file a complaint against the first mover with the Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit for unfair and deceptive practices and also can seek to sue the first mover for unfair and deceptive practices and breach of contract and seek any extra money you paid over what you should have paid as damages from the first mover.
These moving companies are mainly scumbag criminals (many convicted felons as that is the only job they can get) and they do take advantage of customers by low balling prices and then having customers backed into a corner come up with additional fees or charges and holding customers hostage and they have little choice but to pay to get their property moved and the only way to resolve it would be the homeowner going to court (which many homeowners do not want to take the time to do because they have to go back to the state to sue or use an attorney to do so).
However, if you can get in another reputable moving company, then this first company is stuck with their low ball bid and will not get more money and use the reputable company to move the remainder of the property and then sue the first company for their practices.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions