Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I made an arrangement with a local gym, to give free health

Customer Question

I made an arrangement with a local gym, to give free health talks to their members in return for a month's free membership for each talk I gave. I had to join for 1 year. I explained that the gym was not local to me, so I would be using very infrequently and was joining only because of the arrangement. I made this arrangement with a member of senior member of staff who has now been let go. The gym has now decided to not go ahead with talks. I also have a medical problem, which has been exacerbated by personal training sessions at said gym with a trainer who gave me bad advice, knowing a pre-existing medical problem I disclosed. I would love to know if I can ask to be released from the contract.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Do you have anything in writing at all from the member of the staff you talked to? Emails, text messages, anything at all? Is there any language in your contract that refers to the other deal or discusses cancellation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have emails stating that I want clarification of the "deal". However it is all a big vague, the details were clarified on phone calls.
Thank you.
Without anything in writing, I'm sorry to say, the one-year agreement you signed is going to be binding on you. There's no right to cancel unless the contract itself provides one - some gym contracts let you cancel if you move a certain distance away, so it may be worth reading the fine print.
You could try seeing if the former employee will give you a letter or something to use to ask the gym to cancel the agreement as a courtesy (or maybe give you a discount or something). But legally, they're allowed to charge you for the full year if you can't come to some sort of resolution.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.