Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I purchased an 2014 Audi in February with less than 3000 miles

Customer Question
on it. It has...
I purchased an 2014 Audi in February with less than 3000 miles on it. It has an extended warranty. The engine blew and Audi, with no hesitation, has replaced the engine (not sure with a factory engine). My questions are, when I go to sell this car, I do have to disclose to the new Owner that the Engine replacement occurred under warranty? This would be revealed under the Car Facts report any way. I am not getting straight answers from the dealer at this point. My concern is by taking the vehicle back in my possession it becomes my problem at this point and my understanding is that the car value depreciates immediately. Is this true or is it more for perception from a buyer? I am trying to work it out with the dealer to let me purchase a different car if my concerns are correct but if I don't want an Audi, that is where the problem will be I am sure. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/26/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
Does the warranty or other agreement with the dealer provide for any remuneration beyond repairing the vehicle?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Also, was the vehicle sold as a new or used vehicle?
I need to check the extended warranty to see. Is that what ever thing will hinge on? I just want to prepare for worst case. I actually like the car but I don't want to take a car back that I cannot get rid of in the future without problems. I bought the car used from the dealership with less than 3000 miles on it. The first owner has it a short period of time. I don't know the reason why. I am checking my extended warranty now.
Hello again,
For used vehicles, your remedies would typically be set out in the warranty since state lemon laws do not apply. However, federal law can protect you if the dealer is unable to repair the vehicle within a certain amount of time or within a reasonable number of attempts.
Given that it appears they have repaired the vehicle at no cost to you, most warranties would not typically provide for any further remuneration, but I would check yours carefully to be sure.
A new motor does not necessarily depreciate the value of the vehicle, although it may in the eyes of some buyers. Unless your warranty provides for compensation for depreciation (which may or may not exist in your case), necessary repairs to the vehicle would typically be your available remedy.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!
Sorry I am at work and got interrupted. I need to check my extended warranty. May I contact you back for further assistance on this particular aspect of the case?
Hello again,
Yes, I am available for any follow-up question you might have after reviewing your warranty.
Thank you so much!Wendy
My pleasure, Wendy.
Tina, Lawyer