How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56537
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Here is the general situation followed by a question. My

Customer Question

Here is the general situation followed by a question.My 16 year old son who is 6-3 plays ice hockey with the adults and has been at this rink since last summer and at another rink since he was 13 years old (the other rink has since closed). There have been several other 15 year olds and up who have played with the adults. The only requirement was that they had the ability to play with the adults and parental permission. Historically this has been allowed here and in other ice rinks.USA Hockey governs travel leagues but does not set the standards nor impose rules on the local level such as these. They allow the local ice rinks to set their rules. If USA Hockey set the rules it could feasibly force some rinks out of business since it would potentially affect their income and ability to put rink leagues together.There are 3 levels of adult hockey at our local rink - A, B, and C. The players choose which level they wish to play. The players are not made to play at their level of play. It is left up to each player. A is essentially the highest level of play. However, players who can compete in the A division are allowed to play in the lower two divisions. Parents are allowed to play with their children on any level.There is no equivalent level or local league without travelling for these children with higher abilities. If they did not play with the adults at these ages, they would have to play with beginner and younger hockey players. This could be a higher risk of injury to all involved. We are talking about only 2 or 3 players at this point playing.Because some of these players are good and can compete with adults, it does upset some players. My son plays with my wife. He skates slower in these games so they do not complain and rarely shoots to score. (I used to play with them until surgery in January.) My wife and I would both be C players if we had to play according to ability. Our son likes playing with his mom as he is out there for fun and is not worried about winning. At best he could play B but would prefer to play with us.Now comes the problem. Because several of these children are good some players have complained. (Two adults even tried to get our son to fight last game. He skated away. So one of them gave a two handed hard shove and sent my wife backwards. Thankfully she refused to fight. The man was over 200 pounds and she is barely 100 pounds.) Instead of addressing what I think is the issue, the rink is saying the younger children suddenly cannot play even though they do not have an equal opportunity for these better children to play in.I play to discuss this with the rink and I want to bring up that this is potential discrimination based on several things: 1) it has been allowed in the past, 2) the levels are not played by ability and 3) there is no equivalent for them without travelling for hours to play. Does this appear to meet with legal definition of discrimination against the youth?Thank you.Bill
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, from facts stated there is disparate treatment.
The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions