Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Yesterday i bought used car . When i speak with

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday i bought used car for finance. When i speak with sales person we decide the final price is $15,500car price + NY tax+ interest rate no extra fees. but when i came home i saw the finance document car price was $19,375 + NY tax + interest rate + documentation fee of $1,995. i didn't pay attention when signing the contract. Now what can i do? Do i have a right to cancel the contract? what kind of options i have?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, under NY law, when a party signs a contract they are held liable for having read the contract, understood it and agreed to its terms. Once you signed the contract I am afraid that was your agreement to the price being charged. Your only recourse in this type of situation is calling the dealer and complaining to them, but in a court it would come down to being your fault for signing the document and for "not paying attention when signing the contract," which is your duty.