How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 37329
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bumped into a friends car in my driveway. Tried to fix it

Customer Question

I bumped into a friends car in my driveway. Tried to fix it off book then I balked at $3500 cash up front to start the work. Submitted a claimed to my insurance company. They responded instantly. He responded that he is going to get th repairs done his way, not devalued because of age etc. And if the insurance co won't pay, I'm personally responsible
My position is that it's up to the insurance co. I filled a claim.
Also. The car was parked in my driveway by someone he had "lent" the car to. My friend, the owner, was out of town when this occurred.
I'm thinking I'm going to need a personal lawyer before this is done.
What kind am I looking for?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If your insurance company has been notified and filed a claim, then it would be up to them to settle the claim with friend for whatever damages that he can prove. Under your insurance policy, they have a duty to defend you in court if the car owner tried to sue you for any other damages.
But as part of any payment the insurance would issue, they will require your friend to sign off on a release and waiver of any further action against them or you for the claim.
So at this point, your insurance company should handle this and there is no need for you to retain an attorney.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions