How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was scammed by a company in New Jersey concerning my time

Customer Question

I was scammed by a company in New Jersey concerning my time share unit in Mexico. I wired over $21,000 to an account in Mexico on the NJ company instructions, How do I proceed to file suit against the NJ company. I have filed a complaint with the Hudson County Consumer Affairs with out any success other than them telling me that they had no response from the NJ company and I should file suit. I need help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the amount you are suing over is beyond the small claims court maximum amounts, so you really should be using an attorney to sue them. Also, under the NJ Unfair and Deceptive Practices law, you could seek to recover up to triple damages plus attorney's fees for their fraud/breach of contract.
Here is a sample complaint so you can see the format:
However, in that sample, before you get to the counts, you have to set out all of your facts (one numbered paragraph per fact) and then you move into the counts.
Because of the amount of money at stake here and potential for the punitive damages and attorney's fees, I would still suggest you get a local consumer protection attorney in the area where the company is registered, since that is the court you have to file the suit in.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions