How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signned a funeral arrangement contract yesterday and now

Customer Question

I signned a funeral arrangement contract yesterday and now I want to change to a different company. They say I can't. Do I have a timeframe in which I can brake a financial agreement contract
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no 3 day right of rescission in this type of contract under NY law, contrary to what many people believe. Under NY law, when someone signs a contract, they are held to have read and agreed to the terms contained in that contract.
Thus, in a contract of this nature, you have to look at what is written in the contract as to whether or not there is a cancellation provision in the contract. If there is no cancellation provision in the contract, then the parties remain to be bound to the contract they signed.
The court's hold what you are saying above about finding a better price as "benefit of the bargain," and prior to agreeing to a contract the onus is on the buyer to do their due diligence as they are bound once they sign their name unless the contract has a clause allowing refund or cancellation of the contract.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions