How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118760
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rv trailer I would like to donate to a family. I don't

Customer Question

I have a rv trailer I would like to donate to a family. I don't think it's been licensed/registered since 1999. I have the Certificate of Title. Any idea how to check it, and how much the fines would be to get it registered? The trailer was my deceased brother who had it since approx. 2010. The title is in the previous owners name. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the trailer belonged to your deceased brother, you cannot donate it or transfer ownership until you conduct some form of probate on the brother's estate to have the probate court transfer title to the heirs and then the heirs would have to transfer it to the family.

Here once you open probate, there is another problem, if the title is in the original owner's name because your brother never transferred it, the you have to file a petition to quiet title in the court and the court has to issue an order that your brother was the owner and to put your brother in ownership so probate can transfer it to the heirs.

It would not have fines to get it registered and if you have proof it is being donated the family would have minimal or no taxes, but you will have to pay about $1000 or so to a local attorney, because this will require an attorney as it is not a simple transfer because the title was never changed over by your brother.

This is the only way you can get everything transfered properly.