How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Honda civic: I took my 2003 Honda with 100,000 miles in to

Customer Question

I took my 2003 Honda with 100,000 miles in to the mechanic to rebuild the engine. Received it back and immediately oil was leaking, hood wouldn't shut due to loose bolts. Alternator belt loose and squeeking. One week later a hose blew right in front of mechanics place. Took it in and he added coolant and put temporary hose. Drove one more week for total of two weeks after rebuild and blew head gasket. Now owner wont do anything unless I sign a paper stating warranty is no longer good since I overheated engine. He has not looked at engine at all. I towed my car home. Can he take back warranty? Isn't he responsible for telling me about a bad hose when putting in rebuilt engine. I paid him 2,800.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he is responsible for his work (both under the warranty - breach of contract, and for work that is below the standard of care for his profession - negligence).If he fails to repair the engine at his expense, you can sue him for breach of contract and negligence in civil court (find another mechanic who can evaluate the engine and give you an "expert opinion" regarding the cause of the engine failure, as well as the estimated cost of repair to support your case.Prior to filing your civil suit, you can try filing a BBB complaint, the BBB offers no cost dispute resolution for consumers, and is often much faster and less expensive than a civil suit, and if it doesn't work, you can sue afterwards: