Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I have a serious problem with mole in my home. I have suffered

Customer Question

I have a serious problem with mole in my home. I have suffered for several months with headaches, and skin infections. My primary Doctor sent me to a dermatologist to treat this skin disorder. I moved into this house on 09/05/14 and have suffered with skin problems regularly since moving into this house. I am 76 years old and I have a 54 year old cousin that is disabled living here with me. She has problems also but due to her inability to express herself it's hard to tell what's bothering her. Her eye's bother her and she often has a runny.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.
If the mold conditions in the rental unit affect the livability of the unit or your health and safety, then you may be able to claim your damages caused by this kind of contamination a breach of the implied warranty of habitability claim.
Under California’s Repair and Deduct Law, you may do any of the following:
1. deduct up to one month’s worth of rent and hire a contractor to make necessary repairs if the landlord has not responded in a timely manner to written notification of the problem;
2. not pay rent until the problem is remedied [make sure you have given the LL written notice that the problem is still there and a notice that you will quit paying rent if not fixed within a reasonable time;
3. file a lawsuit to recover damages for both the illegal living environment and the damage to the health, medical bills, cost of moving etc...
Before doing the above, make sure you amply documents all the notice and chances you have given the LL to repair the issue.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!