RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

my husband passed and leased a car in his name only.....what

my husband passed and leased a car in his name only.....what will happen if I return it to the dealer

RGMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RGMacEsq :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and my condolences on your loss.

RGMacEsq :

Probably nothing will happen. The dealer could try to make a claim against the estate, meaning that he goes after the damages resulting from a breach of the lease, but most of the time they don't do this if the vehicle is returned and the damages are minimal.

RGMacEsq :

The fact that you have not signed personally for this, and assuming that you're not going to be filing for probate means that the dealer would have to file for probate itself to file a claim against the estate.

Customer:

I offered to transfer the ease but it has become a hassle and I will rescind the offer. I will probably purchase the car that I lease from them since the lease is ending at the same time.

RGMacEsq :

This costs a lot of money in legal fees to do, and they probably would not be able to recoup that. Again, because you did not sign, they can't assess it against you, against joint accounts, against any income that you have, etc... They could only go after property that he owned individually, if anything, and as such, once they have the vehicle back, you probably won't hear from them again.

Customer:

lease I mean

RGMacEsq :

I see. Again, they probably won't do anything with that, as it would be a peaceable voluntary repossession on your part.

Customer:

There was no estate but life insurance that has been transferred to me/

Customer:

Thank you

RGMacEsq :

Life insurance is not an estate asset, and they couldn't go after that.

RGMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

will do thanks