How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Lawyer with extensive experience representing individuals in consumer protection law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi,Im thinking of filing a complaint against a bakery

This answer was rated:


I'm thinking of filing a complaint against a bakery retailer. Last month, after canceling a $450 order over 48-hr in advance, I was told I couldn't get a refund of what they charged me, but that I could order from them in the future and they'd deduct from the tab until we were even. In the last several days I've tried calling and emailing to place an order, but they're ignoring me entirely. Can I sue for the $450 that I haven't gotten the equivalent back from (whether in baked goods or as a refund)? Could I sue for even more for this refusal to provide service to me on top of that?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You can definitely sue them for the $450 for their failure to honor the terms of your contract with them in which they promised that they would provide you with $450 in store credit for the amount that you had been charged, but canceled 48 hours in advance.

I'm afraid it's unlikely though that you would be able to receive anything more than that, since a business does have the right to refuse service to anyone, as long as it is not doing so due to discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic (like race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, etc.).

You can find all the forms that you need to file a small claims case against the bakery retailer here:

If you can tell me what county in which you reside, I can also look into whether it is possible to file your small claims case online, as that is possible in some California counties, like Los Angeles County for instance.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!


Joseph and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you