How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 38226
Experience:  Attorney,17 years experience in consumer protection areas
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my wages are garnished due to a credit card debt, can they

This answer was rated:

If my wages are garnished due to a credit card debt, can they take more than the amount listed on the court order? My employer just informed me of the amount, when it starts, how much per pay period to stop 4/11/14. If you calculate the amount per pay period and when it stops, it's more than the amount on the order.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
One thing that you may not be considering is that the creditor is allowed to add in their court costs and attorney fees to the actual judgment. These may not have been added in to the original judgment from the court because the creditor doesn't know how much their attorney fees will end up being until the representation is over. So if the creditor gets a judgment against you for $10K and then the attorney sends his last bill, the creditor gets to add that into the judgment.
There is also interest that accrues on an outstanding judgment at a rate of 6% that is factored in that can make the actual amount paid higher than the judgment amount.
Barrister and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you