How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Im in a pro se case I had an attorney in the beginning

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm in a pro se case I had an attorney in the beginning my ex attorney saud he gave me copies of all my documents but he did not the defense in my case has releases of my medical records and I had no idea they did because there is no copies . Is there any action I can take
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you asking about actions against your attorney?

What state are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I l

Thank you for your response.

In IL, upon termination of representation, a lawyer is required to return all papers and property received from the client, but may retain copies at the lawyer's expense. If the client requests copies of other parts of the lawyer's file, the lawyer should make copies of those materials in the lawyer's file to which the client is entitled to access available at the client's expense.
See: Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct, Rules 1.4, 1.6, 1.15 and 1.16.

Thus, the attorney was obligated to turn over anything received from you and anything you asked for. If the attorney did not do that then you can potentially have a claim against the attorney and you need to sit with a local legal malpractice attorney to review your evidence to make a proper determination. If this caused you to lose your case you could potentially seek your damages that you lost from the attorney.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions