Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

i RECEIVED A CALL FROM JACKPpETERSON who said i had won $450,000

i RECEIVED A CALL FROM...
i RECEIVED A CALL FROM JACKPpETERSON who said i had won $450,000 in the sweepstake I entered.i sent $2,250 to XXXXX AN ENTRY FEE.i AM NOW TOLD BYmICHAELHhARRINGYON THAT iI need to pay taxes on that moneybefore I receive the money.
10/30/2013
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news. What you describe is a very common scam. Please do not send any more money to these thieves. What you describe is a crime. And they will continue to make up reasons that you must send more money in order for you to receive your "prize"

One dead giveaway is the taxes piece. By law, any organization that distributes prize money is required to withhold taxes from the winnings. If this was a legitimate sweepstakes, they would NOT be asking you for any money and specifically they would NOT ask for taxes...by law they must withhold taxes from the winnings.

I would contact your local law enforcement (police) and report this crime.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer