How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

DMV registration fees question, I failed to file certificate

This answer was rated:

DMV registration fees question, I failed to file certificate of Non-Op on a 1992 Dodge Dakota after it stopped starting/working in 2006, also in 2007 a Lincoln LS 2000 would not pass smog test, so it stayed in my drive way non-driven, I have a need to have these operational for use and upon calling DMV I was told the registration fees with penalties
will be $1026(1992 Dodge) and $941(2000 Lincoln).
I have spent considerable amount repairing these cars and able to use them , I am trying to find out procedurally correct DMV waiver request for past due fees, any body can help with this issue it will be appreciated.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. I'll do my best to assist you.I can only provide general information, so a follow up consult with a private lawyer is recommended. VC 9562 (b) states as follows: "Other provisions of this code notwithstanding, the director may, at his or her discretion, investigate into the circumstances of any application for registration to ascertain if penalties had accrued through no fault or intent of the owner. If the director determines that the circumstances justify it, he or she may waive any penalties upon payment of the fees for registration then due". I have searched through all the forms and cannot find an actual waiver. However, this should work: (non op form) - you can state dates of non-op; - please see the last section "statement of facts", where you can explain the waiver request, along with a statement that the car was not driven during the relevant time period. Here is the statute giving the director authority to utilize 9562(b) for a waiver of fees: Please see pages 3-14 through 3-16 for a detailed explanation:

LegalGems :

I hope this helps. As you can see, it is within the director's discretion, so there is no sure fire way to guarantee this will work. I know this is not the exact answer you were hoping for, but I did the research and felt that you should be given the information I found.


Thank you very much for your prompt answer to my question. I tried to put my comments in last night, for some reason it would not take the key strokes.

LegalGems and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
I hope you found the information I provided useful.
Future requests can be labeled "TO LEGAL GEMS" followed by your question.

It would be appreciated if you complete the admin's survey - it's like our report card!

Thanks, and take care!