Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

i was scammed in mexico with a time share sale. do i have

i was scammed in mexico...
i was scammed in mexico with a time share sale. do i have any protections. the resort has refused to refund my money.
10/19/2013
John, Lawyer
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You have a 5 day cancelation period under Mexican law. To not allow you to rescind in that time would be a violation of the law.

Please see the following excerpt regarding time-share investments in Mexico, taken from the U.S. Department of State's website at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

Time-share Investments: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days. The Department of State and the U.S. Mission in Mexico frequently receive complaints from U.S. citizens about extremely aggressive sales tactics, exaggerated claims of return on investment, lack of customer service and questionable business practices by time-share companies, resulting in substantial financial losses for time-share investors.

A formal complaint against any merchant should be filed with PROFECO, Mexico's federal consumer protection agency. PROFECO has the power to mediate disputes, investigate consumer complaints, order hearings, levy fines and sanctions for not appearing at hearings, and do price-check inspections of merchants. All complaints by U.S. citizens are handled by PROFECO's English-speaking office in Mexico City at 011-52-55-5211-1723 (phone), 011-52-55-5211-2052 (fax), or via email at [email protected] For more information, please see the PROFECO "Attention to Foreigners” web page at Profeco (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor).

You might try contacting the above-mentioned agency (PROFECO) to see if they can be of any assistance. My only other recommendation would be to contact an attorney in Mexico.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Lawyer
John, Lawyer