How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 5555
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney experienced in consumer protection law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was scammed in mexico with a time share sale. do i have

This answer was rated:

i was scammed in mexico with a time share sale. do i have any protections. the resort has refused to refund my money.
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You have a 5 day cancelation period under Mexican law. To not allow you to rescind in that time would be a violation of the law.

Please see the following excerpt regarding time-share investments in Mexico, taken from the U.S. Department of State's website at

Time-share Investments: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days. The Department of State and the U.S. Mission in Mexico frequently receive complaints from U.S. citizens about extremely aggressive sales tactics, exaggerated claims of return on investment, lack of customer service and questionable business practices by time-share companies, resulting in substantial financial losses for time-share investors.

A formal complaint against any merchant should be filed with PROFECO, Mexico's federal consumer protection agency. PROFECO has the power to mediate disputes, investigate consumer complaints, order hearings, levy fines and sanctions for not appearing at hearings, and do price-check inspections of merchants. All complaints by U.S. citizens are handled by PROFECO's English-speaking office in Mexico City at 011-52-55-5211-1723 (phone), 011-52-55-5211-2052 (fax), or via email at [email protected] For more information, please see the PROFECO "Attention to Foreigners” web page at Profeco (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor).

You might try contacting the above-mentioned agency (PROFECO) to see if they can be of any assistance. My only other recommendation would be to contact an attorney in Mexico.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions