How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Purchased Jet Skis from couple a year ago, my husband did

This answer was rated:

Purchased Jet Ski's from couple a year ago, my husband did not get aa bill of sale or trasfer of owner papers. We paid 10,000 in cash, we tried contacting the previous owners but for some reason they wont talk to us. How can we get a bill of sale from them? We need to renew registration to use jet skis
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, if they will not respond to you to provide you the proper documentation as they are bound to do, then your only recourse is you have to file a civil suit in court against them called a petition to quiet title and you name them as a party to the suit as well and ask for damages for them failure to provide merchantable (good) title to the jet skis. Then the court will order that title be placed in your name and the court can order that the seller pay your costs and damages as well as any attorney's fees for having to pursue this in a court action.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im worried that because we paid cash for the pair of jet skis we cant prove that we purchased it from them.

Also Im thinking there is a reason they are avoiding us. What if they had some sort of lein or loan on the Ski's and sold it us?

Thank you for your response.

This is something that is an inherent problem in a cash sale, but your husband will have to at least show through bank records or some records where the $10,000 came from around that date of purchase. The court sees this constantly, so they are not unaware of these types of transactions which happen all of the time. If there is a lien on the skis, then the court can award you damages from the seller or can even make the seller refund your money and cancel the sale.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions