How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask California Lawyer Your Own Question
California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1043
Experience:  Licensed to practice in California
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
California Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At a University of California gym, I was given a release of

This answer was rated:

At a University of California gym, I was given a release of indemnification for membership. The release states that I would agree not to sue, even in the case of negligence on the part of its employees or administrators. When I refused to sign the release, they told me I couldn't have a membership. Is that legal?

California Lawyer :

Hello, are you there?

California Lawyer :




Let me try and help.


Generally if the thing they are disclaiming liability for is not a necessity, then the provider can disclaim liability like this. Things like sky diving and what not fall into this category. If it was something like medical care, then the waiver would be ineffective.


In this case, I think they can do it. Yes, its legal.


I hope this helps.



California Lawyer and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you