Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Purchased a used 2007 class C motor home on 8 Aug 13 in Eugene

OR. After a week...
Purchased a used 2007 class C motor home on 8 Aug 13 in Eugene OR. After a week of the dealership safety checking the vehicle and correcting any noticeable interior defects we were told we could pick up the vehicle. After a walk through by one of their mechanics we took possession of the vehicle.

Three hours into our trip from Roseburg OR to Redding CA we had the inside, left tire go out. The tech didn't tell us nor did we appreciate at the time the tire that disintegrated was a different brand and age than the exterior left tire. The tech replaced the flat with the spare which was the same brand and model as the one that it replaced.

Another three hours on the road and the spare blew out on I5 outside Redding CA during heavy traffic. I had to pull to the left side of the road. The tech that came out this time told us having two different types/ages of tires on a dullay because one would blow out. Ended up having to buy two tires plus another after we got to our destination.

Here's the question. Was it legal for the RV dealer to say they did a safety inspection yet let us drive off the lot with a the potential for disaster that invariably occurred. And if it is not legal what recourse do we have for some sort of compensation? Thank you.
10/2/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Here's the question. Was it legal for the RV dealer to say they did a safety inspection yet let us drive off the lot with a the potential for disaster that invariably occurred.

Response 1: No, it not. It was unfair and deceptive act and practice for the dealership to have conducted a "safety check" but failed to check the tires. No safety check can be complete without the tires being checked for defects.

And if it is not legal what recourse do we have for some sort of compensation? Thank you.

Response 2: You can make a demand for replacement of costs for the tires and for your inconvenience. If the dealership ignores you or refuses to comply with your demand, you may file Small Claim against the dealership. Click here for Small Claims information.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law