Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

how do i report retail fraudulent representation within the

company i work with; i...
how do i report retail fraudulent representation within the company i work with; i seek no $; just want to know where to report it
9/30/2013
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there.

-

I am a bit confused by your explanation. Someone at your work is removing the original labels from the product of another company and putting false labels on these items and selling them as their own products? or as counterfeit designer products?

-

Can you give me some examples of the products that this is happening with ? Is it handbags and shoes ? Designer costume jewelry ?

-

ANd you want to report these actions to the authorities if there are laws against what is happening ?

-

MARY

-

Please bear with me while I sort out your questions so that I can point you in the right direction .......

i am employed by a helicopter tour company at the grand canyon; we offer helicopter tours over the canyon at the south rim; our home office is in las vegas, where tours are also given

both locations have retail shops. one of the items offered at our location is woven baskets of various sizes. these baskets are made in pakistan; the original tags indicating origin have been removed; las vegas regail mgr has manufactured other tags which read native american made ...

my gm knows that i refuse to sell these baskets unless the consumer is aware of where they are made; i was informed that we probably would not be selling them again (that was 3+ years ago); these baskets are still being offered for sale; are being sold to tourists believing they are purchasing native american indian baskets ...

the bizarre twist here is that no one wants to confront anyone because the owner's daughter runs all retail ... yikes

i simply want it noted somewhere; i have stated to my gm and others that unless i am totally unaware, does this not constitute false advertising or intentional consumer fraud of some sort?

am I still waiting for reply ? you asked for more info; I have now been fully charged & thanked ... however no full response

Hello again -

-

I apologize for the delay -- I just received notification that you posted a response to my questions. Please bear with me while I review your responses and then check a few items in local AZ and NV laws regarding this situation.

-

-

MARY

thank you mary ...

Hello again --

-

Thank you again for your patience. After reviewing this matter there is no personal liability on your part because you are simply an employee of the company. However, you are correct as interpreting what is happening here as a matter of consumer protection law -- it is actually false advertising and depending upon the number of units sold and how far she is into doing this with the items (does she sell just a few or hundreds?), the Attorney General's office in Arizona may take this matter and it is within the AG's discretion whether or not to prosecute these offenses as a criminal or civil matter and/or to alert consumers who have already purchased the items in order to force refunds on the company. Obviously these are things are beyond what you need to know for your purposes but I am simply letting you know that it is the AZ Attorney General's office and/or the Nevada Attorney General's office that can and probably will pursue these matters as criminal activity if she sold a significant number of the items to unsuspecting consumers (if the numbers were not that large then the Attorney Generals might issue a civil fine instead). Here is a link to the AZ Attorney General's website and complaint form for you so that you can initiate a complaint to the AG's office around the time that you will be leaving the company permanently. https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer Also, here is a link to the NV Attorney General's office and complaint form for the same purposes -- http://ag.nv.gov/Bureau_of_Consumer_Affairs(BCP)/ (In Nevada her actions are called deceptive trade practices).

-

I hope that this helps.

-

MARY

-

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

indeed this does help...thank you for your info mary; enjoy your day

You are very welcome.

-

Can you please press a positive rating underneath the above ANSWER box or this ANSWER box so that I will be paid for my time. I will not be paid anything unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time.

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

--

MARY

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer