How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an eye put out by an incorrect procedure done by an optometrist.

This answer was rated:

I had an eye put out by an incorrect procedure done by an optometrist. Instead of doing a CAT Scan first, he held a slit lamp in front of my eye looking for a tumor (that did not exist) until it cooked my retina. I have lost my ability to maintain my license and have gone from $80k/yr to $25k/yr. The Eye Dr said my vision will return but it has been nearly two years with only shadows returning to the eye. I have contacted two lawyers that did not take the case - they appear to be legal for the Eye Dr. and are the best in the area.
The injury occurred while I was in the doctor's chair. He checked my vision at 20/20 just before he put my eye out.

Any suggestions?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did this injury happen 2 years ago?

How soon after you were examined by this doctor who used a slit lamp, was your eye injury reported or documented?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It will be two years this Nov. 3rd. I was sent to the imaging center a couple of days later to further access the situation but they found nothing was wrong with the eye (et. tumor or blockage.) I returned to the Eye Doctor a couple of days later and he said the vision would come back, maybe not as good as before - like 20/30 instead of 20/20. I went to another eye specialist in January and he suspected toxoplasmosis and had me treated for it. The ID Doctor saw no indication for Toxo but treated me anyway. The result was that I showed no sign of the treated disease. That is, the eye should have formed white spots in the retina if I had had the disease.


All of this came from a "bulls eye" on my retina that I have had since childhood that my original Optometrist saw and over reacted to.


Thank you for your follow up.

Can you tell me what actual evidence, written medical reports / opinions do you have that it was the optometrist use of slit lamp that caused all the severe damages to your eye?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have his medical records. During the same visit, he first examined my eye and did a field vision test to get a baseline. Then he investigated the "bullseye" with the slit lamp. I told him that it hurt too bad and I did not want to do this anymore. His response was that, "he could not see what was "wrong" if I did not continue with the test." A minute or so later he looked into the lamp and said that my eye had stopped responding. I was completely blind for the next week, then I started seeing light on the right side of my eye. He was shining the slit lamp into the left half of my eye. I have a clear line down the center of my eye where the light was positioned from which I have no vision.


Thank you for your follow up.

Let me start by letting you know that the statute of limitation in Virginia for a medical malpractice lawsuit is 2 years from the time of injury.

With that said, it is imperative for you to consult with one or two local ophthalmologist and to have this local ophthalmologist provide you with a written opinion that your eye injury was caused by the negligent actions of the original optometrist and then consult with local personal injury / medical malpractice attorneys and hopefully you will find a local attorney who would be willing to take on your case.

You can find an experienced local medical malpractice / personal injury attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Alex J. Esq. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you