Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I bought a 2008 Mini Cooper from a dealer 2 days ago. I live

I bought a 2008 Mini Cooper from a dealer 2 days ago. I live in Georgia. The airbag light was on, but the dealer said it is only the light, which is a common problem on Minis, but that the airbags work fine. He also put it in writing in the disclosure section of the purchase agreement: "Dealer gte airbags system ok." If my mechanic has determined that the airbag system will not deploy, what are my options? Can I get the dealer to pay for the cost of fixing the airbag system?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Yes. The dealer should be made to pay for the cost since the dealer said it was okay. You made the dealer aware of the problem and the dealer incorrectly assured you that nothing was wrong with it. You would not have purchased the car at the price that you purchased it or even purchased it at all if you knew that the airbag system is not functioning correctly. So, you relied on the assurance of the dealership to your detriment and the dealership should therefore pay for the repair, for your expenses in connection with the repair of the airbag system.

Unfortunately, Georgia lemon law does not cover used cars.

Georgia Lemon Law