Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I signed a contract on Friday, 9/20, to install kitchen cabinets

I signed a contract on Friday, 9/20, to install kitchen cabinets that I bought from Ikea. I have now seen some very bad reviews and want to cancel that contract. Can I do that, and how should I do it? I have not given the company any money yet.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I have now seen some very bad reviews and want to cancel that contract. Can I do that, and how should I do it?
.
From a purely legal perspective, once you sign the contract it is legally binding and either party can enforce it against the other. So they could try to enforce it if you cancelled by filing suit for breach of contract.
.
However, practically speaking, if they haven't done anything or incurred any expenses under the contract, then they would have no legal damages even if they filed suit.
.
With that said, if you cancel promptly, they should have no damages and no reason to try and enforce the contract. I would do so in person and then also follow up with a written letter sent certified mail to them so you have proof of a prompt termination.
.
.
Thanks