Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I BOUGHT 2 BEDROOM SETS AND DAY BED YESTERDAY. I WAS TOLD

I BOUGHT 2 BEDROOM SETS AND DAY BED YESTERDAY. I WAS TOLD HE WAS NOT GOING TO CHARGE SALES TAX AND DELIVERY TO BEAT THE PRICE FOR THE OTHER FURNITURE COMPANY. WHEN I GOT HOME AND DID RE-CALCULATION HE OVERCHARGE ME $300. I WENT BACK TO ASK HIM WHY DID HE CHARGE ME EXTRA $300; HE SAID ITS TAXES AND DELIVERY, NO ONE WORKS FOR FREE. NOW I DON'T WANT THE FURNITURE ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THE WAY HE TRICK ME, BUT THE RECEIPT SAYS NO CASH REFUND. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

While he could legally negotiate to not charge delivery, he cannot legally waive sales tax. Under NV law, when parties enter into a contract of this nature, if you signed the receipt agreeing to the deal, it was your responsibility to read that document before you signed it. If you did not do so until you got home after you signed the receipt, you have no recourse legally, because you cannot introduce oral statements from a sales person to contradict what is in the written agreement under the NV law called the Parol Evidence Rule.

If you have evidence he told you this before you agreed to the sale, you know he will deny he told you that, then you could file a complaint with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit for unfair and deceptive business practices and you could sue in small claims court for the unfair practices. If you do not have any evidence other than your word, I am afraid that you would not be able to succeed in court on this matter I am sorry to say.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE RECEIPT HAS JUST THE TOTAL BILL $3000.NO SEPARATE CHARGES. AFTER I SIGNED HE TOOK IT BACK AND HELD IT TILL HE SCAN MY CARD. MY DAUGHTER WAS WITH ME WHEN HE TOLD US BOTH FREE DELIVERY AND NO TAX. WILL THAT HELP ME?

Thank you for your response.

If you agreed to pay $3000 total, and he hid the tax in there which he could not waive, then legally you would not have a claim you could win in court I am afraid. You can still report them to the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General though for this deceptive practice to try to force them to negotiate this with you.