Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I am looking for help to resolve two recent issues I have encountered

with Verizon Wireless. Version seems...
I am looking for help to resolve two recent issues I have encountered with Verizon Wireless. Version seems to assume that all customers are guilty until proven otherwise. Then the company make prove of innocence impossible by blocking customers access to relevant data.
1). Version Wireless lost track of my defective I-phone that I send back to them and was attempting to charge me $550 for it. I was initially told that my phone wasn't receive at all. After being confronted with UPS receipt and trucking information they admitted that device was received but insisted it was "wrong device". Verizon has refused to name this "wrong device" or return it back to me. Needless to mention quite painful experience dealing with their customer service. I was kept hours on hold and denied access to supervisors: I was told that all supervisors are on meetings or received false promises that I would be contacted back just so I would not annoy them anymore. Nobody wanted to listen to me or to check what actually happened to the device in dispute. I was repeatedly told that only solution to the problem will be for me either pay $550 for device or sent right device to Verizon. Later on they claimed they received from me Samsung cell phone that actually belong to a different Verizon customer. Finally Verizon reveal that it actually has my phone and all it was just mistake of their warehouse. Logically I would expect this acknowledgment would mean the problem is solved but not in my case. Over the course of two week I was promised twice that representative would contact me next day to dismiss the charges but it never happened. The charge is still on my bill. I guess Verizon just charging me because it can. I starting to believe it is not a mistake but deliberate strategy to intimidate customers in order to receive payment. let me prove my point using another example.
2). I had purchased international calling plan from Verizon Wireless in order to maintain emergency contacts with family and work while taking a trip to Europe. Upon return I was presented with the bill of $184. The majority of charges were for incoming calls from Europe that I neither made nor received. When a have attempted to dispute those calls with number of Verizon Wireless representatives I was again treated as offender and was requested to pay for calls that I don't made because "Verizon already paid for those calls" to its European counterparts. When I requested to see phone number that I allegedly talked with I was told that this information is protected. So again Verizon is always right otherwise opposite is proved by customers but company withholding from customers data necessary even to make the argument. Only solution I was told I have is to pay this bill. Since I continue to insist, the third supervisor that I spoke to agreed to place a ticket to seek more details from their European partners. They promised to call me back that again newer happened. So I made two follow up calls in two weeks and was reassured that Verizon is working to obtain all information needed to solve the dispute and it may take time. I gave them one month and then I contacted Verizon again to check on status of dispute. This time I was surprised to hear that Verizon have never requested any additional information from its European partners because the ticket wasn't approved by supervisor of the supervisor! I also was told that my file indicates that I was contacted by customer representative named Rodriguez who offered me $30 off but I refused the deal. Certainly I never received call from representative Rodriguez, but it was first time last name of Verizon agent was mention to me. All Verizon representative I spoke with introduced themselves by their first names an refused to provide their last names or employer IDs. Again I was given no option to further dispute and was requested paying it just because Verizon sad so.
First of all, I would like Verizon Wireless to dismiss all charges mentioned above. Second, I hope there is a way to compensate me for time I lost dealing with frivolous charges, deceptive billing practices, and dysfunctional customer service. I have made multiple contacts to their customer representatives and their supervisors that took at last three to four hours of my private time. The third, I would like Verizon to be reprimanded for intimidating their customers. A would appreciate your input and suggestions.
Sincerely,
Y.Y.
9/20/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties with Verizon Wireless ("Verizon"). Since you have attempted to resolve your issues with Verizon and you have not gotten any cooperation from Verizon, you have two options. You can either file complaint against Verizon with Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”) or you can file lawsuit against Verizon for unfair and deceptive act and practice for trying to force you to pay for equipment that you have returned and for calls that you did not make. It would cost Verizon more in Attorney's fees to defend your lawsuit. So, hopefully, a threat of lawsuit would get Verizon to reconsider and be reasonable.

Your issues with Verizon are the types of issues that a Consumer Attorney may be interested in because you are probably not alone. So, a class action case may be possible with you being the primary Plaintiff in the case. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to sue Verizon for unfair and deceptive act and practice.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

naca.net

justia.com

lawyers.com

You should also pull your credit report and review it to make sure that Verizon has not improperly reported your account as delinquent to the Credit Reporting Agencies (“CRAs”). If it has, then you need to dispute the information with the CRAs. Click here to learn how to obtain complimentary credit reports.

Click below to file complaint with FCC:

FCC Complaint

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law