Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Bought a used car("as is") for my son on 2 Sept., in Plains,

PA. He had a problem...
Bought a used car("as is") for my son on 2 Sept., in Plains, PA. He had a problem with the exhaust yesterday morning and upon inspection at a certified PA State inspection garage, they found the frame to be rotted thru and according to the garage the vehicle should not pass a State inspection. The garage had us sign a waiver of liability because it is not safe. The inspection sticker on the car is from May 2013. Is there anything I can do?
9/19/2013
Law Pro, Lawyer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

Would or did the station you took the vehicle too be able to state that the frame was "rotted through" at the time the vehicle was inspected?

Yes

Then you are entitled to your money back PLUS any other costs you incurred - like the license plate and transfer fees, etc.

I would make demand upon the dealership. If they refuse to reimburse you your expenses and costs - then you file suit for breach of contract and fraud. In fact, I would retain an attorney because you could get your legal fees reimbursed as part of your award.

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

The car dealer is not a certified PA State inspection center and did not inspect this car. Should I let them have the car to look at? I'm also having a hard time finding a lawyer in my local area who deals with consumer issues.

Oh. Then someone was fraudulent. However, the dealer has their claims as against who inspected it or the seller to them - but that's their problem.

The dealership owes you your money back - the vehicle was fraudulently represented.

You are entitled to your money back at a minimum OR whatever deal you want to make with them otherwise - that would be your choice.
Law Pro, Lawyer
Law Pro, Lawyer