Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Son signed up for an online class to learn medical transcription

Son signed up for an online class to learn medical transcription when he was 17 six months ago - he is 18 now. He paid $2800 I think. He hates it and feels like they oversold him. He just wants a refund of half his money. Was signing under 18 legal? Is there a way to encourage them to give him a partial refund?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response
: Unfortunately, he cannot use his age as a defense because in Arizona contracts signed by minors who are age 16 and over are enforceable. See Arizona Revised Statutes Title 44 Section 44-140.01. So, the only option he has is to send in the completed paper work sent by the school to see if he would receive a partial refund. The school is not obligated to issue a refund when he has enrolled in the school.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.