Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I am being harassed by someone who has a phone number of Midland

I am being harassed by someone who has a phone number of Midland Credit Management. He has called 17 times in 8 days. I have no business with this company. He calls at all hours. I don't answer the phone. I am a senior, and live alone and am afraid this person may know where I live. I have tried contacting the police but have received no answer from them. I've reported him to the DoNotCall list but that is no help. What can I do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened.

What you're describing is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices. It's illegal for a debt collector to call consistently or to call at hours that should be known to be inconvenient. If you send them a letter, via certified mail, telling them to cease contacting you immediately, they must do so. Keep a log. Make notes of every time they call. When a debt collector violates the FDCPA, the consumer can sue for up to $1,000 per violation. For that reason, if they will not leave you alone, you may want to contact a local attorney who can help you sue. This site has some sample letters that may help.
http://www.debtletter.com/sample-letters.html

It is possible that they have an address for you, however, the purpose of these companies is to try to get money from you. They're not likely to show up or become violent. Keep your doors locked and be vigilant. If you see anything suspicious, call the police and they will take care of it. But you shouldn't have any problems.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I don't owe anyone any debt. I pay my credit cards off each month. I cannot send anyone a letter because I don't know where he is calling from. Midland online has many lawsuits and many complaints but there is no address.

They have to give you an address if you ask for one.

The Better Business Bureau has an address for them. They also give the company a B+ rating and show that the company is accredited, so you could try contacting the BBB for assistance.
http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/financial-services/midland-credit-management-inc-in-san-diego-ca-101104