How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27745
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not sure if I am asking the right people to answer this

This answer was rated:

I am not sure if I am asking the right people to answer this question.

What must a person do to get back money that he or she spent, and find much later that the company is fraudulent.

When you say the company is fraudulent, do you mean that they exist but took advantage of you? Or do you mean they were never a real company to begin with?

If you're not sure, give me the name of the company and a website if you have one for it. That will help me direct you as to who can help.

Use the reply tab below.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As per your question, the companies do exist but they took my money and that is about as far as I got. The company is called The Tax Club in NewYork, NY.


Thank you for the information. We are no stranger to the Tax Club. We have had other complaints about it in the past.

I looked into the Tax Club almost two years ago for the first time, and I didn't find a pretty picture then. It's much worse now.

As you may already know, Manhattan Professional Group and its subsidiaries, including The Tax Club, have all been sued by the Federal government for defrauding thousands of men and women by taking substantial funds from them for services that do not exist. This legal action began in January of 1913, so 8 months ago.

Presently, the government is trying to shut them down and to freeze all of the company's assets, and the case is still pending. So right now, there is no money that you can get from this company. What happens, however, is that once the government goes after an enterprise like this and once the case is over and everything is sorted out, they take the money that they win from the litigation and distribute them among those defrauded by the company.

So what you want to do is to file your complaints with the government so that they are aware that you are on the list of people who were defrauded by The Tax Club.

You need to write to the Federal Trade Commission at and fill out a complaint form with them. And you want to also file one with the New York State Attorney General's Office.

Since they are a real company, you could sue them, but with their assets frozen at this point, there's nothing you're likely to get. Still, you might want to talk to a lawyer and see if there is any point to taking legal action with all of this pending. You can find out where to serve them here. (see link)

Beyond that, all you can do at this time is to wait. You can read the details of the Federal suit on the Better Business Bureau's website here.
Zoey, JD and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you