How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Name is XXXXX XXXXX live in St Charles IL. I have a contractor

This answer was rated:

Name is XXXXX XXXXX live in St Charles IL. I have a contractor that is pouring a replacement driveway. He has poured the left and right and not the middle. He did not want to pour last Wednesday because of the heat but for some reason he did. That Wednesday pour resulted in a 7 foot long crack that runs diagonally thru the first section existing the garage. Since no one has even put any pressure to the concrete should this section be removed and in removing does this jack hammer cause stress to the walkway section the boarders the left side.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

When a person makes an arrangement with a contractor to do work, the contractor has an obligation to do it in what is called a "workmanlike manner." If the contractor knew that it was too hot to pour the concrete and he did it anyway (unless you insisted that he do it), and it cracked as expected, then he can be legally required to repair or replace the work. If in doing so he damages other areas of the driveway, he'll also have to fix those.

If he refuses to fix the damage, then you have the option of suing for damages. What you would be entitled to is the cost of paying someone else to fix the work (because you should have had a completed driveway for the agreed contract price and not a penny more). If that is $3,000 or less, you can bring the suit in Small Claims Court. If you have not yet finished paying the contractor, then you could withhold payment equal to what it would cost to have it fixed, if he refuses to do the work.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions