Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My mother died last year and left me and my sister, Laura,

as co-executors of her estate...
My mother died last year and left me and my sister, Laura, as co-executors of her estate which is worth about $80,000 as well as her car, a 2003 Toyota Corolla. My sister does not want the car and is willing to write an affadavit stating that. I plan on buying a new car and trading the Toyota in. The title of the car is in my mother's name. My question is: what is the easiest way for the title and registration to be transferred to me? I know of two choices; maybe you know others: 1) Can the car dealership take care of the transfer of the title so that I can trade it in to me when I buy the new car ?or2) Should my attorney, handling the disbursement of funds, take care of the transfer of the title and registration to me? As you can see, I am trying to avoid dealing with the DMV myself since it is time consuming and I can't reach them on the phone. Any best suggestion would be helpful. I live in New York State. Thanks.
8/23/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry about the loss of your mother.

Was the probate case filed and estate is still open?

My sister and I have been waiting 6 months for the disbursement of funds due to the joint executor situation. My attorney just filled out the Surrogate Court of Queens County, NY asset form and the funds will be available next week in the account set up by my attorney in the estate of my mother. Laura and I do not want to bring up the car issue now since it will delay the disbursement of funds even longer. We need the money now. Does this help answer my question?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Is you and your sister the only co-executors and beneficiaries of this estate?

Yes, it is just me and my sister, since my father died many years ago and we are the only two children, the will states disbursement of funds 50/50.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, if you and your sister are in agreement in having this vehicle distributed fully to you, you would have to file a motion with the surrogate court to seek for the court to approve such transfer and as long as, both of you agree on it, the court would not have any reason not to approve and order such transfer and once the court order is obtained, both you and your sister can sign the title over to you as co-executors of the estate.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law