Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Leased a 2013 Toyoto Corolla in Los Angeles California on 5/15/2013.

I drove the car back...
Leased a 2013 Toyoto Corolla in Los Angeles California on 5/15/2013. I drove the car back to Raleigh NC where I live. I can not register the vehicle because I need a copy of the title. The Dealership did not handle the paperwork correctly. No Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, and title corrections. I called today and there seems to be little progress. My insurance company wants to know why the vehicle is not registered with NC. I'm told the dealer has 20 days to provide Proof of Ownership. I no longer want to deal with Toyota Financial and would like to return the car "Voluntary Surrender" without it affecting my credit. Since it is illegal to sell a vehicle without a proper MCO.
8/15/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question.

What is your question?

I want to return the car because I cannot register it. I do not want it to affect my credit rating.( Is it illegal for the Toyota Dealership to lease a car to me without a proper title and MCO?) I want to avoid DMV penalties and or fees if I am stopped. I do not have tags or a registration card.

Thank you for the information. I was offline when you responded to my information. Thank you very much for your patience.

Your Question: I want to return the car because I cannot register it. I do not want it to affect my credit rating.( Is it illegal for the Toyota Dealership to lease a car to me without a proper title and MCO?) I want to avoid DMV penalties and or fees if I am stopped. I do not have tags or a registration card.

Response: Yes, it is illegal. See California Vehicle Code Section 4150(d). You can call the dealership now and let the dealership know that you would be returning the vehicle because you can no longer wait for the Title and MCO, because of the hardship of not having the required documents to register the Vehicle in North Carolina has caused you and you do not need additional problems with North Carolina Department of Transportation. If the dealership refuses to take the car back, you may consider retaining the services of a California consumer Attorney to assist you with the case. Most consumer Attorneys would take the case on contingent fee basis. This means the consumer Attorney that you find may not charge upfront fees and may d only charge fee if she/he wins the case for you. Even then Courts do award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers so you may not have to pay out of pocket.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

naca.net

justia.com

lawyers.com

You may also consider filing complaint with the Attorney General’s Office.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you.

I spoke to another lawyer and he said;

__________________________________

I get it more clearly now.

What we can do is sue them, directly, then hope they do the right thing quickly, which is unwind the deal.

This will still take 60 days minimum.

Also, you have to pay the cost of filing the lawsuit. They will have to pay my fees.

If you wish to do this, let me know.

__________________________

August 21st, I called the Toyota dealer

I asked why it took so long I was told the "One Trip Permit" was missing from my paperwork.

The paperwork is being sent to NC DMV today. Once the paperwork is signed and sent back by NC DMV to Toyota Lease Trust (Toyota Financial) I can register the vehicle. (She does not know how long this will take.)

They will take the car back but it will be a "voluntary surrender" and they said it will affect my credit rating.

I'm not sure what to do.

I know I will never deal with Toyota again.

Regards;

Alex.

You need to send a demand letter to the dealership to take the car back, BUT NOT AS Voluntary Surrender BECAUSE the reason the car is being returned is because the dealership has not given you the proper documents in a timely manner in order to register the car despite your repeated requests and dealership's promise to send the documents to you. If the dealership accepts the car, but reports it to the credit reporting agencies as Voluntary Surrender, you can dispute the information on your credit file and then file a lawsuit against the dealership for unfair and deceptive act and practice if the derogatory information is not removed from your credit file.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law