Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had a new starter installed in my car at a automotive repair

I had a new starter installed in my car at a automotive repair shop here in Putnam,Ct.
I have AAA and had to have my car towed to this repair shop called 5th Dimensions.
I never received a written estimate to let me know how much it would cost me.
I called them everyday to find out about me car and after 6-Days I called and they told me that my car was done and then told me that it was going to cost me $395.00. I told them that that was ridiculus and that I was not going to pay that amount because I new it was way over priced. I went to pick up my car and they would not release the car until I paid them cash only, they would not take my credit card from only me. I was very upset so I then called the Putnam police but had no satisfaction and he seemed to be on there side and I felt he intimidated me. I had no choice in this situation so I paid them cash and left as the police officer waited and basically escorted me off the property.
I am still very upset about this matter and wondering if there is something I can do about this incident? I feel used and hurt.
Do I have and kind of rights in this matter. The Cop told me No!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties:

Response: What the repair shop did by not providing you with a written estimate of repair before the repair was done is unfair and deceptive act and practice. You can sue the repair shop n Small Claims Court to recover the amount that you paid. Click on the link below for Small Claims information:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/smallclaims.html

You can also file complaint with your Attorney General's Office and Better Business Bureau:

http://www.ct.gov/ag/lib/ag/consumers/consumercomplaintform.pdf

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started