How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33463
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a used vehicle on April 24 from a private party

Customer Question

I purchased a used vehicle on April 24 from a private party that ran the transfer through a local used car dealer. My problem is that it has been over 90 days and the transfer has not been made. The telephone number at the car lot is no longer in service and the guy I bought the vehicle from won't return my calls or talk to me. What recourse do I have to get the vehicle into my name? I just don't know which way to go or if I even need a lawyer. I am located in Fresno, Ca.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Did you get a bill of sale or other paperwork?

Is there a lien on the vehicle?

Have you been in contact with DMV? If so, what have they advised?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have all the legal paperwork from the sale that was processed through the car lot. I do not know if there is alien on the vehicle as I stated before, I went to the DMV and all they would tell me is that the vehicle wasn't registered to me.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

If the title was never received from the dealer or seller, you can file an application with the DMV for a duplicate or paperless title using the Bill of Sale from the seller.

The following link as the form:

The form is self explanatory, but you may need the seller's cooperation.

If they refuse to cooperate, you are going to need to sue them for breach of the sale contract.
It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.


Related Consumer Protection Law Questions