Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

On May 15 2013 i hired a lawyer to represent me in my bitter

landlord tenant litigation. He promised...
On May 15 2013 i hired a lawyer to represent me in my bitter landlord tenant litigation. He promised me an aggressive, professional, top notch representation - in fact he is #1 in the area. However, i have not heard from him ever since, For almost 11 weeks ALL my emails and phone calls go unresponded to, except once he emailed me that he has been busy with other clients, and then is off on vacation.
the 11 weeks that passed not only delayed my suit by that time, which also means additional 3 months of escrowed monies, which is a huge sum (the judge ordered the rent money in escrow until the stabilization is determined and the rent is set). it also means additional 11 weeks of landlord harassment, and he has been vicious.
Bt the most important issue is the that my attorney failed to deposit my money in escrow! It is 2 weeks overdue now, violating the judge's order, and possibly jeorpadizing my case! i emailed him 4 times and called him 2 to tell him to deposit the check (copies of emails saved, messages taped). he never responded, and the check has not been deposited.
So are the attorney's actions, apart from negligence, qualified as malpractice at this point? he is quite aware of the repercussions of missing escrow dates, and at this point is is two weeks. Is my case going to be jeopardized in court by this, even if I show that it is the attorney's conduct, not my negligence, that resulted in failure to deposit money into escrow? what recourse do I have at this point? Grievance procedure takes up to 45 days. how can I get him straightened out? Can some institution put pressure on his to get his act toegtehr and start working on my case? thank you.
7/29/2013
Infolawyer, Lawyer

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question.

INFOLAWYER :

I am sorry to hear your lawyer is not acting as you rightly expect

INFOLAWYER :

You have a couple of options in straightening him out

INFOLAWYER :

you may threaten legal action or replacement

INFOLAWYER :

there is also a state disciplinary bar

INFOLAWYER :

which reviews clients complaints

INFOLAWYER :

the state bar does not look kindly on mismanagement of client funds

INFOLAWYER :

and lawyer can be suspended and even disbarred for it

Customer:

i threatened him already with disciplinary actions, and gave bad review online. he does not flinch. Is disciplinary bar the same as disciplinary committee? It takes then 30-45 days to review

INFOLAWYER :

Yes, that is the one

INFOLAWYER :

and that is the general review time

INFOLAWYER :

another option is having another lawyer write him and demand the compliance

INFOLAWYER :

then he will see you are serious

Customer:

i sent the check by regular mail, but I have emailed him mulitple times and called him so that can be proven, and he didnt repond. Can I prove I sent him the check b indicating that i communicated to him 6 times about the check and he didnt respond? Also with my previous lawyere tehre have never been any problems depositing my check and I also sent the check regular way

INFOLAWYER :

Yes, that helps

INFOLAWYER :

the repeated communications

INFOLAWYER :

You have the options I outlined above

Customer:

can a regular lawyer demand another lawyer's compliance? does it take a special kind of an attorney to do that?

INFOLAWYER :

you may also continue to press him

INFOLAWYER :

any lawyer can do it

INFOLAWYER :

but

INFOLAWYER :

it is always better to have a lawyer with experience in legal malpractice

INFOLAWYER :

take the lead in doing so

INFOLAWYER :

who may also have contacts with the disciplinary bar

INFOLAWYER :

to expedite review

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you the best of luck

INFOLAWYER :

I trust the answer is clear, and would ask that you rate it as an excellent answer in rating

Customer:

thank you

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer