How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Problem: DFAS (Defense Finance & Accounting Service) put a

Customer Question

Problem: DFAS (Defense Finance & Accounting Service) put a negative entry on my credit report for an account that I didn't know that I had to pay.

Constraints: I'm American live and work in Japan.

Background: I used to work on a Naval base in Japan as a contractor. I got a skin infection and a Naval doctor suggested that I just stay a few nights at the navy hospital in late 2007. I assumed that my health insurance would pay for the stay so I didn't think much of it an agreed to be admitted. I was scheduled to start a new job in Tokyo, away from the naval base, so I contacted the Navy Hospital account manager and gave my contact information in case of any billing issues. I never heard anything so I assumed that everything was okay. I also check my credit report every year and never saw anything negative until 2012. After several back and forths with Experian, the Collection agency, and a call to the health insurance provider, I discovered that my health insurance provider didn't pay the full amount and the Navy Hospital didn't enter my forwarding address correctly in the account system so I never knew that I owed money. The telephone number that I provided is still the same as it is today but nobody ever contacted me. The actual hospital stay was billed at an outrageous amount of almost $7,000 so the amount remaining is $1200 plus supposed "late" fees of about $500.

Question: Although I understand NOW that I owe a remaining balance, I don't think I was treated fairly and what was once my pristine credit rating is now destroyed because the Naval Hospital and DFAS cannot follow instructions. I don't mind paying money that I actual owe but I don't think that I should have to pay "late" fees. Furthermore, since the Naval Hospital and DFAS made the error, any amount that I ultimately pay should be under the condition that the negative entry is removed immediately. My question is what are my options for handling this situation quickly and painlessly as possible?

Notes: I have already disputed the issue with Experian, the Collection Agency, and tried contacting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau but with no success.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If they never gave you notice of the debt and you can show they had the proper address, you can indeed argue that you should not owe the late fees, but this is something you need to fight with the billing department and negotiate. If you do not negotiate these fees away, while it is likely that you could get them removed, you would only be able to do so by going to court against them and suing for removal of that fee through their negligence. Unfortunately, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, they claim the debt is valid, you claim it is not, so you would not have a claim under that Act.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you for you response. I understand that your reply is only based on what I wrote.


1. When you wrote "billing department", does this mean the Collections agency or the original organization that sent me to a collections agency? According to DFAS, once an account is in collections, DFAS and the original entity does not respond to requests - we have to deal with the Collections agency directly. ( - "Once an account has been referred to a collection agency, you must contact the collection agency directly to discuss all aspects of your account, including payment arrangements."


2. It is my understanding that we cannot sue a government agency such as DFAS - is this not the case?


I have illustrated in several correspondences to Experian and the Collection agency that the wrong mailing address was listed. I have tried to contact DFAS but they just refer me to the Collection agency.


Is there no way out of this loophole?


Thank you again for your help.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, you need to contact the collection agency and negotiate with them if the debt is moved to collections.

You can sue a government entity only if they consent to be sued. If they are improperly reporting a debt against you, then under the FCRA they are not exempt from being held in violation of that act for reporting an incorrect debt. They are also not exempt from being sued if they are pursuing an improper debt against you.