How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a delinquent account (credit account) with the bank

This answer was rated:

If I have a delinquent account (credit account) with the bank can the bank withdraw money from my checking/savings account to pay the delinquent amount without my permission. I got something in the mail today saying there is class action lawsuit against my credit union because they took money for someone account. There is a statue the notice outlines.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Now is it the same bank that took money from one account to pay another account (a loan) that you have with them OR, you mentioned something about a credit union and their taking money to pay off a debt (I presume without a notice of garnishment)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, same bank took money from checking to pay for delinquent loan. No notice of garnishment.
OK, if it's the same bank - then pursuant to the UCC (the uniform commercial code) they can take from one account a depositor has and pay a delinquent loan.

You might know the term "cross-collateralization" - it means all your bank debt and money (deposits) are connected. If you have money in your checking account and you fall behind on your credit card, personal loan or car loan with that same bank, the bank can take the payment out of your checking or savings account to pay that delinquent loan. They don't need an order of garnishment.

However, you could have the bank refund the monies if you were to file bankruptcy (last resort and you may not have considered such a drastic measure) and they would have to refund the monies to your savings/checking account.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Law Pro and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions