How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Handy Man that does home repairs in the State of Georgia

This answer was rated:

I am a Handy Man that does home repairs in the State of Georgia and completed work for a client that said I damaged property in her home while I did the repairs she requested be done and declined to pay the invoice for $975.00. I filed a claim in the County Magistrate Court and was awarded the payment by the court where I represented myself and the defendent was represented by an attorney. The court ruled in my favor and awarded payment for the invoice. The defendent has now invoked her right to appeal the decision and has filed the appeal with the State Court. Can you answer the following for me:
1) Does this mean that the case begins exactly at the beginning again with the State Court or does it just address what the court already granded and how long does this take to get scheduled with a date?
2) Am I required to have attorney when I am notified about the court hearing date?
3) Is all the information that was available from the first hearing allowed to be used for the appeal hearing?
4) If I am required to have attorney, if I would win the case again, can the defendent be required to pay for the expense I incurred for the attorney?
Thank you for your guidance in advance.


Hi, Patrick, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question today,


1. The Magistrate Court is also known as "Small Claims Court" because they hear cases up to their jurisdictional amount of $15,000. When a party appeals, it is a "Trial de Novo" which means that it is an entirely new trial, from the beginning;


2. It is advisable to have an Attorney represent you, especially where the Defendant is represented by an Attorney. The State Court expects all parties who represent themselves to be familiar with the Rules of Civil Procedure and you might be at a considerable disadvantage where the opposing party is represented by an Attorney;


3. The Rules of Evidence are more relaxed in the Magistrate's Court and they are much more formal on Appeal. For example, an item of evidence may have been admitted in Magistrate Court, but the Judge might exclude it because of the more formal Rules of Evidence;


4. You should always ask for Attorneys' fees. They are not granted automatically and sometimes, it is up to the Judge's discretion,





Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,


Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions