Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

We had applied for a commercial loan through a broker in Texas.

We are in Florida and...
We had applied for a commercial loan through a broker in Texas. We are in Florida and it has been a about 2 years. We feel we were taken as we were told that the loan would fly, then a fee of $14000 was requested and suddenly loan terms changed.

We wonder if there is anything we can do at this stage of the game. I'm so angry about it I still would like to pursue it. Would we have to use a Florida court or a texas court to try to get satisfaction. Any suggestions. Thanks.
7/16/2013
Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did this involve someone licensed by the state of TX? Approximately how much in the way of monetary damages have you sustained?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Yes the broker is licensed there. The damages were $14,000 that was the fee that was supposed to go towards appraisals, then the following documentation changed it to an application fee. There were definitely shady things happening with the documents. At the end they found some lame excuse not to do the loan when everything was in absolute order.

I see. Thank you for providing this additional information, Mary.

You might want to consider filing a complaint against the broker with the state licensing authority as they typically have the authority to investigate and take disciplinary action against the broker if appropriate. Their investigation could also aid you in proving your case if you do take separate legal action against him.

Any legal action would normally need to commence in a TX court since that is where the broker is located, unless your agreements with him state otherwise.

The maximum you can sue for in TX small claims court is normally $10k, so for your claim, it would normally be better to retain a TX attorney to pursue the case on your behalf in a court of general jurisdiction if possible.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Tina, Lawyer