How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have disputed a bill to the University of Miami Medical Center

This answer was rated:

I have disputed a bill to the University of Miami Medical Center for failing to provide promised services. I sent my dispute by certified mail three times and by fax as per request twice. Never got a response from them but they sent me to collections. What can/should I do?

Thanks for your reply!

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you dispute the entire bill or some portion of it?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The entire bill

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Mariana.

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), you typically have the right to inform the collection agency that you do not wish to be contacted further about this debt and to dispute the alleged debt. I would do so by certified mail so you have proof it was received. If they continue to contact you about the debt, they could be held liable for violating the FDCPA.

I would also file a complaint with the BBB and dispute the charge with the credit reporting agencies if the debt is reported on your credit report.

Ultimately, you could file suit for damages you have sustained as a result of the hospital's actions and for a declaratory judgment that you do not owe the alleged debt.

Here is a link which summarizes your rights under the FDCPA:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tina,


Thank you for your answer. I know I can contest the bill with collections and will do so.


My question is when you receive a bill from a provider (in this case UM) and you contest it by all the means that they provide in their bill, and you don't get an answer from them is it legal or illegal to send you to collections?





Hello again, Mariana. I would be happy to clarify that for you.

There are no laws requiring that the creditor respond to the dispute before sending the account to collections unfortunately. It would typically be good business to respond to the dispute as it could help to resolve the dispute altogether, but there is no legal requirement that they first respond. I'm sorry.