Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

A rental property was foreclosed on and sold be the bank in

A rental property was foreclosed on and sold be the bank in a quick sale. The returns from the sale was not sufficient to cover the loan. Can a third party collection group place a judgement lien on my primary residence in a effort to collect this debt?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Can a third party collection group place a judgement lien on my primary residence in a effort to collect this debt?
.
Yes, if they have obtained a judgment against you for any deficiency, they can place a lien on the property and attempt to force a sale of it as long as there is more equity in the property than is exempt by law.
.
In NC, there is a $35,000 homestead exemption for equity in a person's home that doubles if married. So if you have a home worth $170K and you owe $100K on it, it would be exempt from liening and a forced sale because all the equity is exempt.
.
So if you are married, as long as you have less than $70,000 in equity in your home, it is safe.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.