Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I attempted to return a computer, printer, and accessories

16 days after purchasing them...
I attempted to return a computer, printer, and accessories 16 days after purchasing them from Best Buy. It was factory sealed and unopened. They refused to accept the return citing a recent policy return change (April) from 30 days to 15 days. They stated that it was printed on my receipt. I explained that the new policy had not been explained at the time of purchase. When I scoured the receipt, I found it in very small print.
I was not able to speak to the manager (on vacation) and the corporate office told me that return policies were local decisions.
I feel very misinformed and misled by this company that is refusing to take these items back for refund or credit. Do I have any protection or recourse here?
6/30/2013
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there

-

Return policies and procedures are a matter of state law. I can review the Michigan statutes for you on this and see if you have any ammunition here to fight back at them if you give me a few minutes to research it for you.

-

Can you tell me if the return policy was posted anywhere at the time of purchase or if any of the items were defective (sometimes these things matter). (I had a similar issue with Best Buy -- I purchased the Charmed TV series set and half the discs would not play -- they did not have another in the store and they wanted to give me a store credit - I refused and told them that my state law requires merchants to refund defective merchandise for cash no matter WHAT the return policy is -- but I had to write to corporate legal on the matter before they would do anything. So, if I can find something in Michigan law for you to write corporate legal a letter I will do so).

-

MARY

I saw nothing, so not sure. I only wanted to return it because it does not fit into my new house (too big). Everything is completely sealed. I have not opened it. It is charged on the Best Buy credit card. I was willing to take store credit...no luck there either. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Hello again Sherry --

-

Okay -- let me see what I can find. Can you also tell me what city and county you are located in? There may even be something local that will help. Once you give me that information, please give me about 20 minutes to research it and write up an answer for you (I type slowly!). I make no promises but I will tell you the truth.

-

-

MARY

Sure. Saginaw, Michigan. Saginaw County

Hello again Sherry -

-

I apologize for the delay but I have found nothing specific to assist you other than that each retail establishment has the right to have their own return procedures -- including refusing all returns -- if the consumer is made aware of the policies at purchase. Nothing that states that there must be posted signs or that they must let consumers know of a change in return policy. That being said, if the merchandise is defective or not as represented, then the retailer is supposed to take it back.

-

My suggestion is to not give up on this -- filing a complaint with the Attorney General's office Dept of consumer affairs with a complaint that the policy was not posted and/or not clear enough at the point of purchase may help in this matter -- here is a link to the AG's website where you can link through to an online complaint form -- http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17337---,00.html I also suggest that you write a complaint to corporate legal department at best buy and complain about the abrupt change in policy (without warning) and the poor way that you were informed of it at the point of purchase -- and that you are filing a complaint with the AG in Michigan regarding these matters (I would also threaten to cancel the credit card and do business with Wal Mart in the future -- because they sell everything and take computers back for at least 30 days and sometimes longer in some states).

-

I wish I could have found something specific -- but many states are like this when it comes to retail return policies. Michigan has a fantastic retail scanner price accuracy law and nothing helpful regarding returns. Please let me know if you have further questions.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

-

-

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer