How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117369
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i cosigned an auto loan for an ex boyfriend and dont know

This answer was rated:

if i cosigned an auto loan for an ex boyfriend and dont know his whereabouts and company wants to reposses vehicle due to no payments made. Can i involve the law to find the vehicle?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you cannot locate him and he has secured property (the vehicle) you can tell the lender that he has taken off with the car and you do not know where it is and they can report it stolen to the police, since it is theft in NY to conceal a secured piece of property. You can also sue him for the vehicle, but you will have to find him to serve him with the suit or you would have to ask the court upon proof you tried all reasonable means to locate him to allow you to serve him by publication and then if he fails to answer the suit you can get a default judgment against him and when you find him you can enforce the judgment against him.

These are the legal options you have for this type of situation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you