How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Experienced in consumer protection litigation and direct negotiations on behalf of businesses and consumers
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Facing judgement for non payment of credit card debt, Social

This answer was rated:

Facing judgement for non payment of credit card debt, Social Security payment only source of income forced to retire as a result of state 3 Cancer, what do I do?

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

You say you are facing a judgment. Has the credit card company/debt collector actually obtained a judgment or are they only threatening to sue you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are threatening, if I do not pay full amount in ten days a judgement will be placed against me, accually 6 days.

OK. Well, to get a judgment they will have to sue you, get a trial date, and go to trial and prove that you owe on the credit card.

How old is the debt?

When was the last time you made a payment on it?

How much money are we talking about?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Debt is approximately 2 years old, last payment made July 2011 amount 1450.00.

OK. Then that means that there is not a defense under statute of limitations.

In this case, you can look at it two ways:

1. You can declare bankruptcy. This will stop any lawsuit against you and will require the creditors to seek payment through the bankruptcy court which will create a payment plan for you given your limited income.

2. Ignore it and allow them to get a judgment against you. If the only income you have is social security, this is exempt from seizure by a judgment creditor. If you do not have a second home or a lot of extra property (two cars, jewelry, etc), then there are no assets that the judgment creditor can get from you. If this is the state of your assets, then you are what we in the legal profession call "judgment proof." It means that someone can get a judgment against you and it is basically worthless because you can't pay it and there are no assets to seize to satisfy it.

These are your two options as I see it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one final question I have a car and I lost my home sold in trustees sale on 01/31/2013 am I in danger of losing my car, thats all I have?

You vehicle is exempt up to $5000.00

However, if you are disabled, it will be up to $10,000.00.

How much is the fair market price of the vehicle in your estimation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have 2006 Hyundai Sonata I'm not sure however I dont beleive its worth more than 5000.00 and I am disabled.

OK. Then no, they cannot seize your vehicle.

My take on your situation is that you should simply let them get the judgment. If all you have is a vehicle and you are living off your social security pension and/or disability payments, then this money cannot be touched.
TexLaw and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions