Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Classiccars-lo a Car dearlship sold me a corvette with a fake

VIN plate (obvious, poorly stamped...
Classiccars-lo a Car dearlship sold me a corvette with a fake VIN plate (obvious, poorly stamped fake). What recourse do I have?
6/19/2013
Law Pro, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Although not the original VIN plate - is it accurate in it's statement about the vehicle?

Part of my concern is that it is supposed to be a 1960 Corvette but many of the components indicate that it appears to be a 58/59 Corvette. This is why I believe it to be a bigger deal that just a homemade VIN plate also located in entirely the wrong area for a 1960 Corvette.

Was it presented to you that the 1960 corvette was restored with 1960 parts?

What was told to you?

Have you taken the vehicle to an expert to have it evaluated?

What exactly are you wanting to do - get your money back or what?

I have consulted with experts that have advised me to return the car. If I try to register the car it could be impounded for obvious VIN tampering. If I try to get it corrected, than I run the risk of a state issued 17 digit VIN which is the kiss of death as far as a value hit for a expensive classic car. The Dealer knows this. They cannot tell for sure what model year the car is without a legit VIN.

Then I would inform the dealer that you want your money back given the facts and circumstances. That you are not an "expert" BUT, after talking to experts, they have advised given the facts and circumstances that this vehicle is a problem and not how described and presented to you originally when you purchased the vehicle.

In fact, you can make a valid claim for "fraud" and "misrepresentation" in addition to a breach of contract claim against the dealer.

The dealer does sound very shaky and shady given their response "Seller offered to get me in touch with a guy who sells replacement VIN plates."

The seller clearly knew or should have known of the problem. But for your performing your due diligence and talking to other experts you might not have realized the problems with the vehicle.

That all should have been disclosed by the dealer. Their failure to inform you is patent fraud and misrepresentation which allow you to get your money back PLUS any additional expenses incurred if you would have to file suit in the matter.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Law Pro, Lawyer
Law Pro, Lawyer