How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33504
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Seller will not give me motorcycle title or bill of sale

This answer was rated:

I am a Missouri resident and I bought a motorcycle engine through eBay a year ago from a shop in Alabama. When they shipped the motor to me, the crate did not contain either a Title or Bill of Sale. I have tried contacting the seller but they will not return my emails. I have the eBay listing showing that I won the auction and purchased the motor, The paypal receipt showing that I paid for the motor and that the seller received the payment, as well as the shipping invoice from the seller shipping the motor to me. What can I do to get a title? Would there be a way around the seller with the proof of purchase that I have?

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, I do not see that you would have any way around having to sue the seller for breach of contract to provide the title or, at least, cooperate, in submitting an affidavit to get a replacement title.

This would need to be done in the small claims court in the Alabama county where the seller is located.

Before you sue, though, you may want to try contacting the Missouri DMV to see if you can get a new title using the documentation you have and an affidavit.

They may require you go through Alabama first since that is the state of origin.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you