Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Hello! Yesterday the contractor who came to my townhouse

Hello! Yesterday the contractor...
Hello!

Yesterday the contractor who came to my townhouse to deliver my gas range oven only did delivery is my understanding.

I purchased a gas range oven and installation from Lowes in Alexandria.

I received a phone call around June 7th that my oven was in the store.

I received a call the day before for delivery and a two hour window of 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. for delivery and installation.

The end result was that I was told another contractor should have been assigned to deliver and install my gas range oven.

It is an inconvenience to me that there was a communication break down to the process to schedule my delivery and installation.

I want to be compensated from the store. Something like a discount on the product purchased a future discount on future purchase, know how to handle disabled customers.

Can you tell me if there is something that I can do?

Thanks in advance,
Customer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2013
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

Generally, in circumstances such as this, the store manager will be willing to work with you in order to maintain good will, as a small effort in a situation such as this usually reaps substantial benefits (ongoing customer satisfaction therefore continuing customer). However, if attempts such as this do not work, it would be possible to bring a small claims breach of contract action. Generally, the damages for a breach of contract are limited to economic damages (so for example, punitive damages and emotional distress are generally disallowed). The economic damages need to be reasonably foreseeable by the breaching party.

LegalGems :

So in this instance, it could be compensation for the time you had to remain at home for the second contractor's appointment. However, if you read the fine print on the invoice, it is probably (as these corporations pay lawyers large amounts of money) stated that any delay in delivery or installation is not considered a breach.

LegalGems :

For issues such as this, the Better Business Bureau has a mediation program, where they will mediate, via correspondence, the issue for free. However, this is a voluntary program. It is my experience, however, that if the department manager won't provide a discount for this product or off a future product, the store manager will do so. If this fails, a letter explaining the situation to corporate headquarters is often helpful; yet generally the store manager does not want it going to that level because it reflects poorly on him.

LegalGems :

However, I imagine that the store manager will attempt to resolve this with you. Since you are offline, please post any questions here and I will reply as soon as I see it. Thanks!

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer